How to clean Diamond Rings
This blog post provide instructions on how to clean diamond rings.
PRECAUTIONS: (PLEASE READ BEFORE PROCEEDING)
DO NOT CLEAN ANY POROUS OR ORGANIC JEWELRY
(such as pearls, turquoise, opals, amber, etc…) If you are uncertain please give us a call or you can bring it in for us to clean for you)
Make sure the sink has a strainer to prevent any jewelry from falling down the drain.
Use this method and solution to ONLY clean Natural and untreated Diamonds, Sapphires, Emeralds, Tourmaline, Amethyst, and Garnets Jewelry.
Always best to bring in your jewelry at least once a year to your jeweler to get it check to make sure all the stones are still held in place. As gold and any metal wear down over time and need to be check to make sure it is still strong enough to hold your gemstones.
Please do this at your own risk and we are not liable for any damage this cause on to your jewellery or gemstones.
Lots of times you notice that your Diamond engagement doesn’t sparkle the same as when you first saw it. It is because diamonds naturally attract oils and grease, and it sticks to them. This prevents the light from reflecting back to you. In order to remove the oils and grease, we at MJ Jewellers use a special solution and place in our ultrasonic which helps remove trapped dirt and oils easier. However I’m sure most of you do not have an ultrasonic machine so having your diamond ring in our very basic yet effective solution is the next best thing.
Here is a simple recipe to clean your diamond jewellery at home:
You will need a few things:
- 1 plastic or old cup (something that you will not use to drink out of anymore)
- 250ml of Mr.Clean (The yellow/green multi-surface solution)
- 250ml of warm-hot water (Reason we use warm to hot water because it helps breakdown the dirt trapped in the jewellery)
- 1 soft-bristle toothbrush
- 2 liter bucket or large plastic container
- Pour the Mr.Clean solution and water together in the cup.
- Put your ring in the cup and let it soak for 5 – 10min.
- Take out the jewellery and lightly scrub with the toothbrush. (Make sure the bristles are going into the openings in your jewellery)
- Rinse your jewellery under the faucet over a large plastic container ( this way if the jewellery slips out of your fingers it won’t go down the drain) Having the container also helps catch any small diamonds that maybe loose in your jewellery. As this can happen over time as the gold/metal wears down and the diamonds becomes loose.
- Dry with a towel or cloth.
- Enjoy your jewellery and wear them with pride.
If you are uncertain or have any questions please feel free to contact us. You can can come by and we will help give your jewellery a clean.